Hello again! I’ve been BUSY with photography and decorating jobs and have gotten behind (once again) on my posts. BUT I happen to have lots of fun posts in the works so no worries!
A couple weeks ago my hubby complained to me about the ugly state of our little hall that connects our kids rooms and bathroom. The hall still had the builder grade paint (piss paint as a friend of mine calls it) and had gotten all stained and marked up from hand-prints and rowdy little people. I had tried to make a little collage of colorful frames on the wall before but I used them for photo shoots and so half the time they were missing from the wall leaving big ugly empty spaces. It looked terrible. So, I did something about it and I LOVE it now. :)
I decided to paint it white since it is a pretty dark, dingy feeling hall. Also I picked a semi-gloss paint so that I could easily scrub it down after the boys hand-print it up again.
Then, I went to my garage and looked through my stash of frames. I’ve collected TONS of frames from the Dollar Store and thrift stores over the years. I surveyed what I had and decided to check out a few more thrift stores to round out my collection. I found some FABULOUS vintage mirrors at the thrift store as well as several large scratch-and-dent frames for 80% off at Hobby Lobby. I also knew I wanted a few subtle pieces of artwork thrown in the mix so I pulled out several canvases of various sizes I had on hand. Tip* Big Lots and Walmart have artist canvases for cheap cheap.
I traced out all the items onto wrapping paper and cut them out. Then I went to work placing the cutouts on the wall to create my gallery wall design. I simply taped them up and if I didn’t like a placement, I’d just move it to a different spot. Once I had the design the way I liked it, I took all my frames out to the garage and spray painted them (or at least the ones that needed it) white and cream (some white, some cream, to mix it up a bit). I used a spray paint that had a built in primer so it was an easy breezy one step process.
Then the fun part! Putting it all together! The paper templates on the wall helped a lot to hang the frames and such correctly.
I also painted a few quicky art pieces on the canvases as well as made some cute silhouettes of my boys on oval wood plaques I found at Walmart. I still have one more art piece to paint, but I’m doing a tut on it so you’ll see it soon.
Heres a look at some of the details…
Now if I can just get this guy to keep them on the wall….
Anyway, hope you like it! I LOVE the way it turned out and it barely cost me anything. I think the whole thing cost around $50 or so. Stay tuned for some new tutorials coming soon!! :)