Yay! I’m so excited to FINALLY have my craft room/office/music/guest room decorated and ready to use! Heres a bad picture that sort of gives you the idea of what it used to look like. Sorry, I didn’t take many before pics.
As you can see, this just shows you one side of the room where I housed all my craft junk. Although it was somewhat organized into labeled bins, it looked super cluttered and chaotic. The other side of the room had a small rickety computer desk and my keyboard on it. And that was pretty much it. Oh, by the way, if you read my sunburst mirror tutorial I described the “decorated” version of this room with the diarrhea wall color. The pic above is before I painted it back then. Sorry, I don’t have a pic of the ugly “decorated” room (I’m trying to block it from my memory).
Anyway, we really needed to be able to use this room as my craft room, our office, our music room to house my keyboard and our recording equipment, and a guest room for when family comes to visit from Idaho. Thats a lot to ask of a relatively small space. I sat in the room with a paper and pencil for like 20 minutes before I came up with a functional solution. I decided the crappy desk had to go in order to free up that wall for a day-bed with trundle for guests. That meant I’d have to reconfigure the shelving (thanks Daddy for putting it up for me!) and build a desk area on that side of the room. This made my hubby happy when he saw it complete and realized how much extra desk space it created. I also needed to fit my keyboard in there along with my drop-leaf craft table. So the keyboard went on the wall by the closet door, I organized and put shelving in the closet to free up the floorspace which allows me now to be able to roll my craft table in there when I’m not using it, and I also brought an old bookcase that was in our garage in with some baskets to house guests’ items and create a little vanity area with a mirror and lamp. And voila!! It is done. And BONUS, my husband caved and agrees that it now looks much better and is much more functional. Heres what it looks like now:
I REALLY needed some functional storage for all my craft supplies. I found these photo boxes at Hobby Lobby for $4 each but I bought them on a 50% off day for $2 a piece. Think outside the box (no pun intended) when looking for organizational supplies. Office storage boxes like these were at least $6 each in the office supply section of the other stores I visited. In the bottom left you can see some of my white stackable bins that I keep on the bottom shelf to store things I need often like scizzors, glue, markers, tools, etc, and I found them as a set of 3 at Walmart in the kitchen section.
This frame was a quick project: Take an old frame, paint it, attach wire or string across it in rows (I used push pins to hold it to the frame), and clip on small clothespins. It makes a cute little photo/memo board.
This is my DIY mirror and a lamp that was needing a home. I spray painted the lamp Jade from Krylon and sanded it back a little to distress it a bit. I wanted a little place where guests could get ready and put some belongings.
These are the pen and ink sketches from this tutorial. I bought the frames at the Dollar Store.
I layered tons of fun pillows on the day-bed which I just took from other places in my house. I also took a paper lantern from my son’s room (he already had another lamp in there) and spruced it up a bit with some fabric flowers. The tutorial for that is coming soon. I bought an ugly painting a while back at a thrift store for $5 solely for the frame and painted the frame and a picture to go inside and hung it over the bed.
Here is a close up of the painting I did. I wanted something kind of fun and quirky with just a POP of color. I sketched the picture on a white canvas board (find canvas for really cheap at Walmart and BigLots) and then gave it a watercolored look with watered down acrylic craft paint. I like that its imperfect and kind of whimsical. The dusty blue-green fram makes it really pop off the white wall. I spray painted the frame with Jade paint from Krylon and then glazed over it with watered down black craft paint and wiped it back before it dried with a paper towel. Then I just set it all with a clear gloss spray lacquer.
This chalkboard was made by spray painting the old backing to a mirror (regular spray paint in a matte or satin finish works GREAT as a chalkboard on a smooth surface). I decorated it with a white paint pen and hung it off of some silver chain I had.
And thats pretty much it!! It actually looks much better in person and I am loving the results! I’m so excited to start using this room more now and my hubby is excited that craft junk will no longer be inhabiting the dining room table! :)