When I was growing up, every Valentine’s Day my mom would get each of us kids a card and a special something that we had been needing or wanting. Her notes and gifts were always incredibly thoughtful (and still are) and I was always so impressed by her attention to what we’d like as if her brain was a gift registry. I unfortunately did not inherit this talent of noticing and remembering gift ideas for the loved ones in my life so often a week or so before THE DAY I’m scrambling to try and come up with something great. Often this results in making something by hand because A) I feel like it will prove my love because I invested time and effort into it, and B) I usually don’t have time by then to order something they’d rather have.
Giving handmade gifts can be awesome. Or they can totally suck and lead to awkward conversations about why your incredibly heartfelt gift isn’t on display in the dining room like it was intended. I’ve spent the time today perusing online to gather a list of the best 10 Handmade Gifts to DIY for Your Valentine. Many are from other awesome creatives out there with a couple of my own ideas thrown in. Hopefully you can find one that suits your fancy and impress your lover on the 14th.
10 Best Handmade Gifts to DIY for Your Valentine
1. DIY Shave Soap from Humblebee & Me. This is a great gift for either a girl or guy. Especially if paired with The Dollar Shave Club. Create a gift card that says, “Your SMOOTH moves are working on me, Valentine.” and you’re all set.
2. Easy Outdoor Firepit from A Beautiful Mess. I did this one year for my husband and placed clues throughout the day with little messages leading to the firepit reveal. A bundle of wood with “WOOD you be mine?”. A book of matches with “You’re my perfect MATCH.” The fixins for S’mores with “I always want S’MORE of you”. And then finally the firepit with “Baby you light my FIRE.” It went over really well and its something we actually have enjoyed many many times since then.
DIY Etched Glasses from Thistlewood Farms. Use this technique to customize simple drinking glasses or wine glasses. You can get really creative with this one, etching initials, words, shapes, or whatever you can find that comes in a sticker.
4. DIY Wooden Polaroid Gift Set from Sugar & Cloth. This one is super cute and would be a great gift for just about anyone. Especially if you put special photos of you and your loved one together in the frames with a memory written on the back.
5. DIY Foam Core Wall Art from A Beautiful Mess. Create custom wall art for your Valentine’s space with colorful foam core cut and stacked and framed. I love the XO but take the concept and run with it.
6. DIY Conversation Heart Pinata from Studio DIY. I like this idea because not only is it adorable and fun but also you can win major bonus points by filling it with your Valentine’s favorite candies. Attach a little note that says “I’m BURSTING with love for you.”
7. DIY Succulent Planters from Vitamini Handmade. These are great for anyone who loves plants but is yet to establish their green thumb. Succulents are so cute, especially in these little buckets.
DIY Leather Camera Strap by Almost Makes Perfect. I’m a sucker for anything involving photo gear so of course I love this camera strap idea for anyone who has a photog for a Valentine. Beautifully simple, comfortable, easy to make, and totally chic. You could even get really fancy and pick up a simple leather stamping kit and add initials or a meaningful date.
9. Vintage Book Lamp from the Shabby Creek Cottage. If your Valentine is a reader or collector of vintage decor they will love this awesome lamp made from old books and an Edison bulb. Attach a note that says, “You READ me so well Valentine.” or “You LIGHT up my life Valentine.” and they will surely be impressed.
10. DIY Rainy Couple Painting from me here at See|Cate|Create. Its a great painting for both beginners and seasoned artists and would be a fun couple’s project to do on a romantic evening.